Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence- Forbidden Colours

I am still writing chapters for my story I Wish You Knew. I have gained inspiration writing this story after reading so many stories of gay love, salvation and redemption. I have fun making reflections, empathizing with the characters, selecting the settings and  integrating other elements in which I have created from my imagination. Yes, the story is fiction. There's one guy that asked me if the story is a reflection of my personal experiences, but I gave an honest response.But he still considers the story as my experiences and that the character is my resemblance. I am flattered to know that but for my others readers, to insinuate honesty, the characters of the story are all fictional.

I have fun writing the story and I already said it. I already have an ending of the story and even a sequel. Yes, a sequel. The story will have a sequel. I've selected the title: Forbidden Colours.



Forbidden Colours is a 1983 song of David Sylvian and Ryuichi Sakamoto. This is the soundtrack of the 1983 movie Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence. The movie stars the musicians and actors David Bowie and Ryuichi Sakamoto as well as other Japanese, American and English casts. By the ways, the movie is critically-acclaimed. Though a war film, it insinuates a homosexual theme between soldiers.

I chose the title Forbidden Colours for it has the precise theme for my story. Though the sequel will not include military warship, but it will involve battle of emotions, anger, revenge, hatred  versus love, forgiveness, acceptance and redemption. Apart from the exact theme, the song or rather the instrumental soundtrack is my favorite.


Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence of Ryuichi Sakamoto has a sad note. When I invited a pianist friend to comment on the music, she felt saddened by the tone. The overall tone of the song, as she said, is melancholic. I am not a music expert, my friend is and I kinda think after that. I made a research on some notes and yup, it is really a reflection of sadness, of a forbidden love and acceptance.

When I read the lyrics of the song, it seems that it is the perfect fit for the story. And then I wanted to share it.


The wounds on your hands
Never seem to heal
I thought all I needed was to believe


Here I am, a lifetime away from you
The blood of Christ or the beat of my heart
My love wears forbidden colours
My life believes




Senseless years thunder by
Millions are willing to give their lives for You
Does nothing live on?


Learning to cope with feelings aroused in me
My hands in the soil, buried inside of myself
My love wears forbidden colours
My life believes in you once again


I'll go walking in circles
While doubting the very ground beneath me
Trying to show unquestioning faith in everything
Here I am, a lifetime away from You
The blood of Christ, or a change of heart

My love wears forbidden colours
My life believes
My love wears forbidden colours
My life believes in You once again




Credit to EMI Music Publishing


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The should-be gay bars in Cebu

Looking Back 2017 and Striving for More Willpower this 2018

What the Bangtan Boys (BTS) think about the Philippines